Our philosophy is to provide a Christ-centered kindergarten readiness learning environment that encourages the development of the whole child through learning centers and creative play. Our teaching style is:
We encourage and affirm children's efforts
We support children's developmental needs and personal interests
We see the potential in each child and encourage them toward growth
We reflect the love of Christ in our environment, activities, words, and deeds
- Social development by providing opportunities for making friends, sharing, taking turns, resolving conflicts, solving problems, and building self-esteem.
- Emotional development through verbal expressions of thoughts and feelings, experiencing kindness, fairness, empathy, understanding rules and limitations, and by recognizing and respecting the emotions of others.
- Language and literacy development by including extended vocabulary words in conversation, poems, rhymes, music, and reading aloud. The children are introduced to the sounds of letters and writing activities.
- Intellectual development by including fun, hands-on learning activities, science materials, dramas, problem solving, stories, and puppetry.
- Physical development of large motor skills through indoor and outdoor games and activities, and fine motor skills through manipulative toys, blocks, puzzles, writing, and creative activities.
- Spiritual development with daily devotions, prayers, Bible words, Christian songs, service projects, Preschool Chapel, and Vacation Bible School.
Our school is located in the education wing of Excelsior Covenant Church. The preschool wing is built for preschoolers with tot-sized bathrooms, bright colorful classrooms with lots of windows on a walk-in level. Families use our private entrance. We enjoy a large fully-equipped indoor gym, fenced outdoor playground, and lunch room.
- Housekeeping corner
- Block play
- Library center
- Cognitive toys and games
- Manipulative toys
- Science and nature table
- Sensory play
- Arts and crafts
- Dramatic play
- Music activities
- Cozy coupes
- Riding trikes
- Balls and hoops
- Large fenced area
- Fully equipped
- Moon Rock climber
- Natural Tamarack engineered wood chips
- Handicap accessible
Excelsior Covenant Preschool does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, and national or ethnic origin in administering its educational policies, or programming.
Our loving and dedicated Christian teachers are well-educated and experienced early childhood professionals. All participate in programs of continuing education for professional development in early childhood education and are certified in CPR and First Aid. All are certified and approved through the Minnesota Department of Human Services licensing division regarding education, experience, and background studies.